Sunday, June 7, 2009

Coronet Peak Rocks

Well actually there are very few rocks due to the great snow coverage on Coronet Peak and with the amazing and fully automated snowmaking system it is just getting better and better. It's not to say a few more good natural dumps wouldn't be aprecciated however, keep your fingers crossed.

As an empolyee of NZSKI I have to take my hat off the the owners and those that are skippering the boat on its journey towards the future. Serious money has been spent over the last few years and coninues to be in a effort to future proof against global warming or should I say climate change and the bleak world outlook at present and allowing NZSKi to position themselves amongst other things as the leader in snowsports recreation in the Southern Hemisphere. What is possibly more important is the way they are taking the staff on this journey by empowering them to be pro-active in this journey to the future. I have noticed a major pick up in the fact that with returning staff especially the management is treating them with respect for who they are and their backgrounds in the snow and general tourism industry to help the company as a whole acheive its vision for the future and this means respect is being given in return.

I had a great day today, A dozen quick runs on the Quad to get my ski fitness up enjoying the fabulous snow conditions and my new Salomon skis and playing with my early season techinque.

Here's something to think about early season (if you are a skier):

Feel pressure along the whole length of the foot as you ski (not just the heel or the toe).

Widen your stance to hip width or slightly wider.

Focus on disciplined hand and arm position (don't let them wave all over the shop.

Thinking about these three things as you start your season will be a good foundation enabling you to progress faster this year.

Get a ski lesson at an NZSKI snowsports school to find out more! Oh remember to ask for Simon Wilkinson if you want a private ski lesson at Coronet Peak.

Oh I forgot, after my quick ski I decided putting some dinner on the table might be a good idea (keep the wife happy), and popped down to one of my favourite fishing spots near Queentown and hooked and landed three trout one I kept which was a 8.5lb brown trout and let the other two go, dinner for another day! Where can you do that, go ski in the morning and then catch big NZ trout a 1/2hr later! Queenstown and Coronet Peak Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment