Friday, June 4, 2010

Coronet Peak Queenstown Skiing Starts for 2010 New Zealand Winter

The skiing at Coronet Peak started today. The first ski field in New Zealand to get up and running for the 2010 winter. It's really quite a big social gathering for a lot of Queenstown locals to catch up over a run or two. Although there were the few randoms that camped out overnight to gain first chair status - good on ya!

The snow for early season was in great nick although the bottom 1/3 is a bit thin - bring on the snow. There a few different ways off the top with Wall Street and the Shirtfront open along with the M1. Gotta love the jibbers dropping into lots of dodgy off piste areas and helping consolidate the base.

The new meadows lift and earth works are great and will certainly help to alleviate the lines at the chair and has created better beginner/novice terrain.

Got my first runs on my new Salomon Storms - I have a lot more playing with them to do but my immediate impression is it is an awesome ski. They seemed to go left and right well and have great edge grip and even with my early season balance handle well. If you are a advanced skier looking for a all mountain ski this could be the one - check them out at R&R sports in Queenstown and be on the look out for the Salomon demo days around NZ this season.

Ski Tip - look for your balance fore and aft (along the length of the ski)early season, I keep my buckles undone so I am not so reliant on the boot and really get to start honing in on the feelings comeing thru my feet.

Book a private ski lesson with me at Coronet Peak Snow Sports School (ask for Simon Wilkinson) or use my online booking form

No comments:

Post a Comment